Weapon of Choice

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weapon of Choice

Forums for Weapon of Choice FFXI Linkshell on Valefor

Damn you Vista

Urzat

Damn you Vista Empty Damn you Vista

Post  Urzat Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:06 pm

Bought a new laptop, its shiny. Stupid thing has Vista and I don't feel like wiping the drive since I would need to track down drivers for all the nifty attachments which prolly don't exist for XP. Need a freakin Vista patch to install playonline. Playonline site blocked by work. No playonline for me today Sad

Damn you Vista Empty Re: Damn you Vista

Post  Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:22 pm

Getting Vista drivers is the easy part. A lot of new computers and laptops now have moved to SATA drives permanently, abandoning IDE. This means you need to slipstream SATA drivers into the system before your XP disc even recognizes the hard drive to install. One method is having access to a 2.5" floppy drive or USB floppy drive which no one has these days nor are they built into laptops. The other method is to create your own Windows installation CD and slipstream the correct SATA drivers into the installation disc. N Lite is a good application for this. There are three more methods but are usually restricted to businesses. The time and effort is not worth it in your case.

Naturally Vista already has these SATA drivers built into their drivers directory for installation; XP does not because they came out after XP. There are some rare OEM Windows service pack 3 with SATA drivers slipstreamed that you can find on the 'Net.
    Urzat

Post  Urzat Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:36 pm

I am more worried about drivers for like the fingerprint thing and the touchscreen and some other hardwae related things built in to the laptop. Honestly though, Ive been playin with this thing all day and Vista doesn't seem so bad......except for the piece of shit that is UAC, which I turned off after about 5 seconds of constant pop ups.

Post  Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:42 pm

What model is that laptop? I can find drivers pretty easily. Businesses can get them easily.
    Urzat

Post  Urzat Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Its an Acer8930

Post  Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Acer 8930? I don't see that model listed.

What kind of Acer laptop? Travelmate? Aspire? Extensa?

Where are the laptop are you getting that model name from? Check the bottom, those are more accurate than what is listed on the keyboard side.
    Urzat

Post  Urzat Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Its an Aspire

Post  Guest Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Closest model for Aspire is 8920G. Did you purchase this laptop outside of Canada/USA? I know Europe has the Aspire 8930 model.
    Urzat

Post  Urzat Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:50 am

Got it on Newegg lol

Post  Guest Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:45 pm

What's Newegg?

Let me guess... your operating system was Vista Home Premium or Vista Home Basic?
    Urzat

Post  Urzat Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:48 pm

Whats Newegg?! Where are you from? Its Buisness Premium. And afte screwing with it last night Im probably just going to keep it the way it is. Once I wiped all the crap they preloaded on it it was great. Bigger problem now is that I can't for the life of me find a laptop bag that will fit the 18.4" screen ><

Post  Guest Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:49 am

Alberta, Canada where we don't have an idiot president that makes a two year talk like Einstein. affraid
    Urzat

Post  Urzat Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:07 am

Hey Obama won, the world can't make fun of us for having a retarded president anymore What a Face

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:31 am